Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The history of Genso

Hello again! For this post, I would like to talk about the history of Genso. Two and a half years ago, I was playing Yugioh with my friend and I had the idea to make my own game!

Sintrivi Blasma:
Even though the rules for Sintrivi were terrible (and the cards looked rubbish), it was the beggining of something great. It was the first step into something that I now love. There were no elements, but there were Good, Evil, Neutral, Undead and Magic monsters (similar to Genso, but you could only pick one for your deck). Although the rules where similar to the rules of today, there was a huge difference...  You could only have one monster on the field at a time! However, there were really weak Pet cards, which you could put on the field with your monster. Because of the one monster rule (Pets were not powerful enough to do anything, and they were useless), you'd often find that your monster couldn't attack your opponents'. Plus, you could only win if all your monsters were destroyed!

Creature Clash:
Now, Creature Clash was the next incarnation of card game - and was a huge advancement from its predecessor. The art changed, the rules changed, new Magic cards were made... It was pretty much a brand new game! Even though it was similar to Genso, there were still some odd rules... But at least you could have a maximum of 3 cards on the field, rather than just 1.
I also introduced Health points, but they were on a Pyramid card. This card had 10 Health and you couldn't change it. Plus, each time you attacked the Pyramid, it only lost one Health, no matter how strong the monster was. Plus, this is when I created elements and scrapped the old way, and added few of the abilities which we use today (like Fly and Shoot). However, you could still only have one element.

Elementus:
This is when my attempts at a functional card game improved. There were more abilities, better art, Equip cards... Plus, you could have up to 4 monsters on the field! In good old Elementus, I got rid of the Pyramid and made actual Health points, just like the Genso of today. I haven't changed much of the rules since this point, I only changed a few little things from here. Sadly, I'm not sure where my cards are...


Elementus M2:
This is where the game evolved to my favourite point (except for today). I made over 200 cards for it, loads of new abilities and a few new things. Such as Alpha and Beta cards (which I will remake soon!), where you can mix 2 monsters together. The reason I love this version is because I remember sitting down and drawing cards all day! I remade quite a few of the cards from this version, too. One of them is Tota. All in all, this is the best that Genso was until now, just because I had so much fun.

Soshi:
This is where the game stayed the same, but the art changed alot. I only made 10 cards for this version, but it was good and I'm sad that I didn't go much further into making it. (pic) I did try again with it months later, but only got as
far as 2 cards - because that's when I started to make them properly.






Genso:
And here we are today, with the latest (and hopefully last!) incarnation - Genso. I'm not looking to remake it any time soon, but I do have plans to both expand and update it. Generation 2 is already in progress, with new (or old) Pet cards! They'll be much better now, though... ( to the left is a sneak preview!)




And that's it - a history of Genso and all of the card games that helped me to make it all that it is today. Don't forget to take a look at my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaktQ_2MU_TOtDX-i5qqSqA) and take a peek at thegamecrafter.com (https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/genso-the-trading-card-game) to download the game rules FOR FREE - you can purchase your very own pack of Genso cards here, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment